BILL OF INDICTMENT
IS THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES (HSUS) A BENEVOLENT
"ROBIN HOOD" OR A MANIPULATIVE AND MENACING "ROBBING HOOD?"
YOU BE THE JUDGE OF THE FOLLOWING FACTS
by Frank Losey
- The Parent Company of the Ringling Brothers Circus has a pending Lawsuit in the Federal District Court in the District of Columbia that alleges the following violations of the HSUS: Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act; Money Laundering; Bribery; Obstruction of Justice; Mail Fraud; Wire Fraud; Illegal Witness Payments; Virginia Conspiracy Act; Conspiracy to Harm a Business; Abuse of Process; Malicious Prosecution; and a Fundraiser Held in Furtherance of the Schemes.
- At least eight Members of Congress have contacted the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and requested a review of the lobbying activities of the HSUS in order to determine whether the HSUS has exceeded the U.S. Tax Code "Too Much Lobbying" Prohibition for a tax-exempt organization. If the HSUS has, it may lose its "PUBLIC CHARITY" EXEMPTION.
- The IRS has received 1,628 Pages of Documents that chronicle the extensive lobbying activities of the HSUS, such as the quotes of the President of the HSUS who has repeatedly claimed to be responsible for the passage of over 1,000 Laws, including more than 25 at the Federal Level.
- The Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Treasury has assigned a Case File Number (55-1111-0027-C) to a Fraud, Waste and Abuse Complaint that alleges improper IRS employee misconduct in the IRS Whistleblower Office, such as "covering-up" HSUS lobbying activities and "leaking" information to the HSUS so that the HSUS could delete incriminating information from its Website and its future Tax Returns.
- At least Five Members of Congress have asked the Justice Department, on behalf of their constituents, to determine if the HSUS and its Senior Leadership are in violation of the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995 because none are currently registered as a "Lobbying Organization" or as a "Lobbyist" despite their extensive and direct contacts with "Covered" Members of the Executive and Legislative Branches of Government. For example, in 2011 the HSUS hosted an Awards Banquet that honored the 146 Members of Congress who best supported the Congressional Legislative Agenda of the HSUS - - 146 "direct contacts."
- The two most Senior Officers of the HSUS are the two most Senior Officers of the Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF), which is the self-described "Lobbying Arm" Subsidiary of the HSUS. The HSLF controls three Political Action Committees (PACs), which have contributed Millions of Dollars to Hundreds of Candidates seeking Elected Office to Congress. The HSLF has submitted in excess of 2,300 pages of lobbying related documents to the Federal Election Committee. However, neither the HSUS, nor the HSLF, nor their two most Senior Officers are currently registered as "Lobbying Organizations" or "Lobbyists" as is required by the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995 when more than one direct lobbying contact is made with "Covered" Members of the Executive and Legislative Branches of Government.
- Each year the HSUS conducts Lobby Day Workshops in State Capitals and in Washington DC to "train" many of its more than 11 Million Members and constituents on how best and most effectively they may "lobby" their elected representatives to support the Legislative Agenda of the HSUS.
- During the last five years, the HSUS, through the "functionality of its website," has orchestrated Federal and State Legislators receiving potentially more than One Billion E-Mails. If those E-Mails were stacked on top of one another, the stack would tower over 30 miles high.
- The USDA Office of the Inspector General is conducting an on-going investigation as to whether an unlawful "Conflict of Interest" occurred when it hired a former HSUS Litigation Attorney to become the Chief of its Enforcement Branch. Most significantly, the Enforcement Branch Chief is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Animal Welfare Act by all who are licensed by USDA. This former HSUS Litigation Attorney, who has been assessing unprecedentedly high fines against USDA Licensed Breeders, had worked in the very same HSUS Litigation Office that has filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Lawsuit against the USDA. This Lawsuit seeks such things as "Tax Return Information" supplied to the USDA by every USDA Licensed Breeder in Missouri - - discriminatory "targeting" by the HSUS.
- The HSUS has never acknowledged that Pet Breeder Organizations in the 10 States where over 80% of all USDA Licensed Breeders are located have "Publicly Condemned Substandard Kennels."
- The HSUS has never identified a single breeder anywhere in the U.S., by name, as being a responsible breeder. In a November 16, 2009 E-Mail, the HSUS President suggested that all responsible breeders are "puppy millers" - - the equivalent of a racial or ethnic slur. Additionally, he suggested that all family farmers are "factory farmers," and all responsible hunters are "poachers."
- After Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast in 2005, the HSUS asked the public to make extra donations to the HSUS so that it could help the animals on the Gulf Coast. Of the more than $31 Million that the HSUS collected that was to be used to help animals on the Gulf Coast, the HSUS publicly reported spending only a little more than $1,000,000 to build two new shelters in Louisiana and Mississippi. "WHERE DID THE REST OF THE $31 MILLION GO?"
- In the last 10 years the HSUS has received over ONE BILLION DOLLARS ($1,000,000,000,000) of tax -exempt contributions. While some have reported that the HSUS, which does not operate a single shelter anywhere in the U.S., contributes less than 1% of its revenue to help shelters, the HSUS claims that it spends up to 20% of its revenue helping to care for animals. Even if you accept the 20% representation of the HSUS at face value, which is a dubious claim, "WHERE DID THE OTHER $800 MILLION GO?"
- When the HSUS President was repeatedly asked to explicitly and publicly condemn those who violate the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA), he did not do so. Instead, embraced the concept of "civil disobedience" in a written response dated January 18, 2008, and suggested that this Federal Terrorism Statute was an "unjust law." "This nation has a strong tradition of civil disobedience where people in a transparent, peaceful, non-violent way take action to draw attention to unjust laws." NOTE: A violation of the AETA may occur without violence.
- When the Missouri Governor and the State Legislature refused to be "bullied" by the HSUS, the HSUS President publicly condemned the Governor and State Legislators with such quotes as "Democracy Neutered;" "Subverting Democracy, Abusing the Process;" Some lawmakers are thumbing their noses at a statewide vote of the people;" "There's been some very ugly, unfair, cruel and anti-democratic work;" "Shameful example of politics at its worst, with a narrow majority of lawmakers and now the governor subverting a vote of the people; and the most intimidating and chilling of all quotes: "We will hold accountable the public officials."